Back to Browse recipes
Baked chicken with penne, sun-dried tomatoes and side salad
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ lb penne pasta
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into half-inch pieces
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 8 oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- ¾ cup provolone, shredded
- ½ cup parmesan, grated
- salad dressing
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the butter. When the butter is hot add the mushrooms, chicken, tomatoes garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is browned but not cooked through.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushroom mixture. Stir for 1 minute; slowly add the milk. Whisk to incorporate the flour and until the mixture boils and is thickened; about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add the provolone and half the parmesan cheese.
- Combine the pasta with the mushroom mixture. Place in the prepared pan; top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Prepare side salad while dish is baking.