Back to Browse recipes
Braised lentils served over toast with broccoli rabe
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, rough chop (save a little bit to garnish)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup French lentils, rinsed
- crusty bread, any variety
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 bunches broccoli rabe, trimmed (it’s a combination of broccoli and asparagus)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic; stir for 1 minute. Add the tomato paste. Stir for 1 minute; add the chicken broth, rosemary, salt and lentils.
- Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer; cover and cook for 15 minutes (the lentils could cook much faster so check on them after 10 minutes).
- Place the broccoli rabe on a baking sheet. If any of the pieces have very thick stems then split them in half so that they cook evenly).
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes.
- Slice the bread into ½ inch slices. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil on the bread (you could also use butter). Place on a baking tray and toast with the broccoli rabe for 5 minutes.
- When the lentil are tender. Spoon over toast and garnish with parmesan and remaining rosemary.