Back to Browse recipes
Chicken and bean chili
- 2 strips bacon, cut into small 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 onion, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, small dice
- 1 green pepper, small dice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock
- jalapeño pepper, minced (optional)
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 lime
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced and lime juice squeezed on to prevent browning
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of bacon fat from the pot. Add the chicken and sauté until brown. Add the onions, garlic, peppers, salt and pepper (and jalapeño if using). Cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Add the chili powder; stirring to incorporate for 3 minutes. It’s important to cook the chili powder to infuse the flavors.
- Add the chicken broth, chickpeas, kidney beans and bread crumbs; stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with scallions, avocado and squeeze of lime.