Back to Browse recipes
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (mixture of white and dark meat)
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
- 11 oz tomatillos, 1 can or 4-6 fresh
- 4.5 oz can chopped green chilies
- 2 packages 6 ct. tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the oil. Add the onions, sauté for 2 minutes, and add the chili powder, cumin and a little salt and pepper. Remove from heat, stir in the chicken, set aside.
- Place the milk, cilantro, tomatillos and chilies in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Coat a square (8×8) baking dish with cooking spray. Place 1/3 cup of milk mixture on the bottom. Place 4 tortillas on top (cut them to fit if necessary), followed by 1/2 of chicken mixture and sprinkle with 1/3 of the cheese.
- Repeat the layers with 1/3 cup milk mixture, 4 tortillas, the rest of the chicken mixture and 1/3 of the cheese. Top with the remaining tortillas, pour the rest of the sauce over the tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Broil for a couple minutes at the end if you want it crusty on top. Garnish with chopped scallions.