Back to Browse recipes
Chickpea and vegetable curry
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, small dice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups mini potatoes, cut in half
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen peas (keep frozen)
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- Place the butter in a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the onions; sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add the curry powder, coriander, cinnamon, turmeric and salt. Stir to toast and cook the spices; about 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms and asparagus and sauté for an additional minute.
- Add the chicken stock and potatoes. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and frozen peas. I like to keep the peas frozen so that I can lower the temperature of the curry very quickly. This allows me to add the yogurt without worrying about it separating.
- Add the yogurt and adjust the salt and pepper to taste.