Back to Browse recipes
Glazed tofu with sautéed vegetable and rice
A cool thing about tofu is its a bit of blank slate. It is great for absorbing the full flavors of this sweet and slightly tangy glaze, and goes well with a nice base of rice and sauteed vegetables.
- 1 14 oz package extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoon canola oil plus 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 cup plum sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 cup rice
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into slices
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- Drain the tofu and cut it into 1/2 inch cubes. Place the cubes on a baking tray lined with paper towels. Place 2 layers of paper towels on top of the tofu. Press down to pull some moisture out; set aside.
- Prepare the rice according to package instructions.
- Combine the plum sauce, garlic, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and dry sherry in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and fry until browned on all sides. Add the glaze and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with sesame seeds.
- Wipe the skillet clean and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat. Sauté the peppers, onions and mushrooms until browned. Add salt and pepper to taste.