Back to Browse recipes
Tomato soup with ham and cheese sandwiches
- 1 onion, small dice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 slices of good quality white bread
- 8 slices black forrest ham
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Heat the oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until golden brown, about 8 minutes; stirring so they don’t burn. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add the tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer; cover.
- In the meantime make the sandwiches. Spread the remaining butter on one side of each piece of bread. Use more butter if necessary.
- Place one piece of cheese and 2 slices of ham in-between each sandwich keeping the butter ends on the outside (grilled cheese style).
- Place each sandwich on a baking tray and heat in the oven for 5 minutes; flip all the sandwiches and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. When it’s slightly cooled puree the soup with a blender or stick blender. Stir in the cream and add salt and pepper.